10 March 2011

Time to Quit Sleep



Light is happening as spring is pushing its way in. The days are getting longer and I want to quit sleep altogether.

In the last few weeks I have been revising a handful of the pieces I wrote through the winter to print and bind in a small collection. A physical book. I am headed to Portland in a few short days to letterpress print book covers at a printshop collective called Em-Space for BookArts. I will post photos of the making as well as how you can purchase a copy --- of which there will only be 150.

Not that this is the kind of blog where I write about my life as a journal necessarily, but thank you for excusing my almost month-long absence -- and for reading in the first place. Readers responses are one of the main reasons I chose to create this book project - so above all, thank you for reading over these last few months.

I am discovering that winter is the easiest season for me to write --- hunkered down with so many hours of dark. Now there are six baby cows galloping like long-legged puppies on our hillside -- how is anyone suppose to get any work done?

Somehow, there is still a lot of work getting done, just of a different variety. I am drawing and printing and carving like mad. I am beginning to churn out finished work. I would like to call you all on the phone and celebrate the way this feels. I am amazed at these moments when I find myself in a place in life I want to stay for awhile -- even if they are just moments. The moment is the thing -- maybe the only thing we'll ever get of happiness -- but we can get it over and over again.

It is 7:30 in the morning and the sun is already high in the sky. There is much to do; and sleep, our daily experience of dying, will find us too soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment